Joburg in the good old days. a must read.
On the 13 July 1893 a court ruled that the claim for the ground that would become Hillbrow belonged to J. Nicholls. He swiftly sold it to Transvaal Mortgage, Loan & Finance with which Sam Goldreich was associated. The ground was surveyed in 1894 and on the 20th May 1895 permission was received to change the claims to stands. The area north of Pretoria Street and east of Banket Street was laid out. Today, the area known as Hillbrow extends down to Wolmarans Street but it wasn’t always so (roughly covering the missing area on the above map).
An advertisement appeared in The standard Diggers and News on 22 June 1895 for the sale of the estate describing it as ‘property…on the brow of Hospital hill extending to Parktown and Berea Estate” There were 466 stands that went up for auction and…
View original post 1,657 more words